The primary difference between dumpster rentals and junk removal services comes down to who is responsible for loading the container. With junk removal services, someone will do it for you – but they charge for the service and usually need everything to be organized in an accessible way.
In other words, hiring a junk removal service is best when the items are pre-staged and ready to go.
But if you need time to sort through your debris or to avoid surprise fees, a dumpster rental is the clear choice. You can load up the container at your own pace and ensure the dumpster is being loaded to optimize the available space. And if materials such as concrete, drywall, plaster and lumber need to go, a heavy-duty dumpster is the best option.
Pros of Renting a Dumpster
- Easy Access: Unlike junk removal services, rental dumpsters can remain on-site for days or weeks. Removal services typically keep a dumpster at the specified location for only a few hours. With a dumpster rental, you can work at your own pace.
- Longer On-Site Access: Our rental pricing includes up to 15 days with extra days available for an additional fee.
- More Space for Debris: Compared to junk removal services, rental dumpsters typically offer more space for debris.
- More Bang for your Buck: Junk removal services often cap their limit at 20 cubic yards – but we offer dumpsters as large as 40 cubic yards* that can be loaded to full capacity at no extra cost.
*A cubic yard measures the volume of space within a dumpster
Best Items for Dumpster Disposal
While it is always advisable to check local regulations, here is a quick guide for items dumpsters can dispose of:
|Type of Waste||Examples|
|Household waste||Furniture, small appliances, household electronics, carpets, light fixtures|
|Construction waste||Wood, metal, concrete, bricks, bushes, tree stumps|
|Yard waste||Grass clippings, leaves, branches, bushes, tree stumps|
|Recyclables||Paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminium cans|
Junk removal services generally accept items that dumpsters do not, including:
- Large household appliances
However, it is likely there will be an extra charge for those items.
Removal services often price their services based on portions of a dumpster, and it’s difficult to eyeball the actual quantity of waste that needs to be disposed of. Dumpster rentals are better suited for materials like concrete, shingles, asphalt and household waste.
Junk Removal Cons & Fees
Junk removal fees refer to the cost of transporting waste away from a site.
For dumpster rentals, removal fees include costs for:
- Exceeding the dumpster’s weight limit
- Extending the initial rental period
- Exchanging the original dumpster with an empty one
Those additional dumpster-rental expenses are predictable and easily factored into any budget. If you do need a new dumpster, it usually costs the same as the first one.
Junk removal services usually charge you for the percentage of a dumpster being used. The percentage is determined before the dumpster and workers arrive. If the percentage is overshot, the service will end up costing more. Professional removal services may also charge for the disposal of certain items including large household appliances, paint and hazardous materials.
Contact us today to place an order! Save $20 by ordering online.